4 weeks, Summer 2017
Collaboration with Andy Woo, Gayoung Jeong, Adelaide Cha
Resposible of UX design and front-end development
Designing for Democracy
Baram is a platform for potential activists to easily track and monitor issues they are interested in. Our project was voted Most Popular Product in Parkgeunhackathon, a 24-event for designers and developers to come together with the mission to innovate democracy with technology.
Issues go viral, then quickly vanish from our lives.
What happened after the fire in Los Angeles? Removal of the United passenger? Shooting at the Orlando nightclub? Who took the responsibility and what are the current states? We asked, how might we create a system where we can easily track and monitor how issues influenced and are influencing our current lives.
We recognized that many people have the motivation to support issues of their interest, but on the other hand are reluctant to become committed activists. What if there were opportunities to contribute that wouldn't interfere with their daily lives? We named this group of people as potential activists and sought to create a space where they can take part with less burden.
The three key concepts essential to our service are the above. First, the user should be able to receive updates on the issue's current state and progress. Secondly, the user should be able to see what they can do now to contribute. Lastly, updates on the progress of the issue could be added and edited by the public. Once we nailed these down, we began to explore how it would actually exist on screens.
We quickly sketched wireframes that embody the key concepts of our service. For individual issue pages, I promoted that the most recent event and the current opportunity that the user can participate in should be prioritized. The most recent event can be expanded into a whole timeline, which shows how this issue has progressed into its current state.
Every information in Baram is to be edited and maintained by the public. Therefore it was important to make these pages accessible while guiding the users to confirm the integrity of the information. I added a section that requires the user to add the source for their information.
Once the general structure was finalized, Adelaide worked on the UI and refined the details. I received her design through Zeplin and wrote the front-end code for the rest of the night. After winning the award at the hackathon with our prototype, we came together again to actually ship Baram. This project is still in progress!